Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Package

I just received my packet of information on my week long sailing lesson in St. Pete. They sent me FOUR books. In their letter, they casually say, please read these before you come to class. :) Looks like I have a lot of reading to do! Actually, I think the books have a lot of overlap, so it won't be that bad.

I'm really excited for this class. I'll receive my Bareboat Chartering certification from US Sailing when I finish. Part of why I'm taking this class is just to go sailing, enjoy the ocean. The other part involves this long term goal to sail in the Greek Islands with a group of friends. My best friend's wife is Greek, so they take an annual trip to Greece to visit her family. My friend is excited, but I think it is just theoretical right now. It isn't real enough for him to feel like it could happen.

Anyhow, I started sailing by taking sailing lessons here in Denver. (Yes, you can sail in Denver.) Obviously my location limits me somewhat. So this class is the next big step. Sailing on the Ocean rather than on a pond. Eventually, I hope I'll feel comfortable enough to sail solo in the Mediterranean.

No comments: