Friday, February 02, 2007

Chipotle @ Home

I'm a big Chipotle fan. Love the stuff. So the other day, I decided to try my hand at making a burrito bowl at home. I had all of the ingredients except the fresh cilantro and pico de gallo.

What I made was good, but tasted nothing like Chipotle. After some research, I found the recipe on google answers. Check it out:

CHIPOLTE'S MARINADE
-------------------

1 (2 ounce) package dried ancho chiles
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
6 cloves garlic
1/2 red onion, quartered
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 chicken breasts or small steaks (6 ounces each)

Soak dry chilies overnight in water, until soft. Remove seeds. Add all
ingredients except meat in food processor. Puree until smooth.

Spread mixture over chicken, or other meats and refrigerate at least
one hour, up to 24 hours.

After marinading, heat grill to about 400 degrees F, or if cooking
inside, heat small amount of oil in skillet or grill pan over high
heat. Salt meat to taste (optional), and grill lightly, turning only
once, until done. 4 minutes per side for chicken, 8-10 minutes per
side for 3/4" thick steak.

CHIPOLTE'S BASMATI RICE
-----------------------

1 teaspoon vegetable oil or butter
2 tsp. fresh cilantro
2/3 cup white basmati rice
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Lime

In a 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil or butter over low heat,
stirring occasionally until melted. Add rice and lime juice, stir for
1 minute. Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil. At
boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender
and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good recipe except I wasn't sure when to add the cilantro as it didn't say, so I added it after cooking and added quite a bit more than the recipe called for. It was delicious!

Jason said...

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think the cilantro lime rice is what makes Chipotle.

Unknown said...

do u know the reciepe of the hot and mild salsa ???

Jason said...

I don't know the hot salsa. The mild salsa is simply diced tomatoes, diced onions, and cilantro. I don't know if there is anything else.

Anonymous said...

Chipotle chicken uses skinless and boneless thigh meat. The chicken breast is definitely the wrong way to do it. I know this because I worked there for a long time.

Anonymous said...

for the rice recipe, you never mention when to put the cilantro in...