Thursday, November 10, 2005

Docking

So we were back at the Harborage marina and had to dock the boat. We were all thinking about hot showers, fresh food, full flush toilets, unlimited water, but we had to dock the boat first.

I always got nervous docking the little J boats in Denver. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to stop the momentum of the boat and would crash into the end of the dock. Now we're driving in a much bigger boat in tighter quarters. Rob drove in the first time while I handled the spring lines. We pulled out and docked a second time for practice. I drove that time while Rob handled the spring lines. Once we had the plan down, it was actually pretty easy. I think docking the J boats is going to feel a lot easier after this trip.

Once we were docked for the evening, Rick tells us our final exam will be in the morning and then he disappears. I'm sure he was anxious to get home to his wife after being trapped on a boat with us for four days.

I split the rest of the evening studying and walking the docks of the marina. It is really interesting to see the people who choose to live on their boats. They seem normal, but they are bound to a boat with limited space. Granted the yachts are huge! They have everything you'd ever need. The women in our group visited a boat which had a washer/dryer, fresh water maker (from sea water), plus the works entertainment system. If I didn't have as much stuff as I have, I could live on a boat---maybe.

While I was on the dock, I noticed there were two or three cats roaming around. One of them was a tailless manx. It makes me wonder if the cats go sailing with the boats they live on and do they ever fall off? Do their owners lock them in a room down below?

No comments: