Saturday, November 12, 2005

Last Day

Ok. First things first. Shower---long, hot, continuous, shower. A few days of freezing while you lather up with the water off taking a Navy shower makes you appreciate running water.

After that I took a few minutes to study before our final test. It took the most amount of time of any of the tests, but I passed.

Since two of us passed, we were able to take the boat out for 24 hours without our instructor. Our only real option was to sail out and back, anchoring at the same place we went the first night.

At first, there was no wind to speak of, so we primarily trimmed our sails as best we could and cruised along at 1 to 2 knots. I think I can swim faster than that. Just before dusk, the wind picked up and we got some good wind going into our anchorage.

Once we set our anchor, we hoped for a calm night. Unfortunately, we had the biggest winds over night. Both Rob and I were up checking on our anchor to make sure it was holding.

And the next morning, we got up and motored back to our dock. There was no wind and so no point in trying to sail.

Once we were back, we got our certificates and went our separate ways. In my last post about this, I'm going to write my take away lessons and sum it all up.

No comments: