Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Quiz... what do you mean quiz?

Started this morning with a quiz which was clearly designed to show us how little we knew about sailing. None of us knew most, let alone ALL, of the answers. Rick used it as a teaching tool. I think it would have been easier to skip the quiz and go straight to a lesson, but it's not my school.

Rick taught us about how to modify the rigging of the boat to give the sails additional power or to depower the sails. These are definitely useful skills in high and low winds.

After our lesson, we charted our course, hauled up our anchor, and fired up the engine. (Yes, there was no wind again this morning.)

We decided that we wanted to go to dinner at this restaurant that will let us dock overnight if we buy dinner. This, in my view, is one of the coolest things I've learned. That you can dock close to a town, stop in for dinner or to see some of the sights. I guess this bit of travel lust is what draws me to "cruising" in the first place.

No comments: