Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Giant Black CDs

My parents are moving and thus coercing me to "take my crap out of their house". I didn't realize this, but they still have my record collection. Oddly, it was mostly inherited from my dad and pieced together through garage sales. I mean, I only EVER bought one record from the store. (AC/DC's Back in Black, thank you very much).

So I started going through my record collection and I realized that it is pretty damn good. You have to keep in mind the context of when records were big to truly appreciate it. I don't know when cassettes replaced records in volume, but 1980 seems like a good number. There were records prior to 1960, but lets say they really became a mass market in 1960. So lets say1960 to 1980.

So the star players, artists with >5 albums in the collection, in my record collection include:

The Beatles (I have 2 copies of the White Album)
The Rolling Stones (I have "Exile On Main Street" and I didn't even know it)
Kiss (!)
Jefferson Airplane
Alice Cooper (My own preference)
Jimi Hendrix
Ozzy Osbourne

If I had these as CDs today, I would say I have a pretty solid classic rock collection. I could probably take over 103.5 The Fox for a day and not repeat myself or bore the listeners.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this new found knowldege. Ebay and RipVinyl seem to be two pretty good options.

No comments: