Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Heebie Geebies

I had a TA in college who told us about how he had been thrown out of a Christian cult when he was an undergrad. He said he thought he was moving in with a bunch of guys from his church. In his mind it was a kind of Christian fraternity.

The way he told it actually sounded kind of funny. He was a chemistry major and was always asking questions. So the day he got kicked out of the cult, he said that he asked the 'leader' "Why is the diet here only made up of carbs? I read in my nutrition book today that if you only eat carbs you become mentally complacent."

In my mind this is like asking Jim Jones--"Don't you know that the poison in the kool-aid will kill you?"

Anyhow, I just read this account of being in a cult. I'd mention the cult's name, but I'm sure you can guess it and I don't want my blog to come up with any searches having to do with this group. The account is what made me give post that title. It is fascinating and disturbing. It makes you want to tattoo the words "THINK FOR YOURSELF" on your arm so you will never, ever, EVER forget it.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Plus I'm sure it's even stranger now than it was thirty years ago. What is it about it that attracts celebrities, I wonder?

Jason said...

I don't know what attracts the Celebs. If you read the link you'd see that they don't get the full-on wierdness.

Janice Seagraves said...

AMEN!