Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Second Hand Songs

I love cover songs. For some reason, I like to hear different versions of the same song, different interpretations, different senses of life. When Frank Sinatra sings "My Way" it gives you the feeling of the individualist who stood by his own principles and lived his own life. When Sid Vicious sings it, you know that he has rebeled against the world, that he is a lone wolf, and that if he stands for anything it is that he stands against the normal. Another example is "Personal Jesus". Think about how Depeche Mode originally sung the song, then think about Marylin Manson's version, then think about Johnny Cash's.

I stumbled across a website dedicated to cover songs. It is called SecondHandSongs.com. My favorite section was their statistics. I'll share a few:

Top 5 Most Covered Performer
1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. The Ramones (!)
4. The Rolling Stones
5. Fabrizio De André (?)

Top 5 Most Covering Performer
1. Frank Sinatra
2. Elvis Prestley
3. Tony Bennett
4. Rod Stewert
5. John Hammond (?)

Top 5 Most Covered Songs
Song/ Artist /Number of Covers


1
Eleanor Rigby The Beatles 112
2 Cry Me a River Julie London 109
3 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction The Rolling Stones 81
4 Blackbird The Beatles 79
5 And I Love Her The Beatles 78


I'm going to spend some time and figure out which blues songs my future band is going to borrow. Hopefully I can pick some tunes that haven't been covered before.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I popped here from Tina K's site (and how I got there is a long story)... But I wanted to let you know about a podcast that plays nothing but covers. Go to http://www.coverville.com/
The amazing thing is that this guy is actually located in Aurora CO.

Jason said...

Hey, Kim,

Thanks, I checked it out. I'll probably listen to one of the podcasts this afternoon.

-J